CINEMATICS SCHEMATICS

CINEMATICS SCHEMATICS

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

College classics: Man Bites Dog (It Happened in Your Neighborhood)

If I ever get to teach a class in film, and I hope I do, I will fight to the death to show this controversial film. There is so much we can learn from it.


I bought this early 90's French film at the behest of my friend Paul when he was out here, and I totally forgot I did that until last week when I was cleaning up. SUCH A DISCOVERY! This is a fantastic dark comedy way ahead of its time. It's a mockumentary about a serial killer who invites a poor, rag-tag film team to accompany him on his killings. The lead actor (Benoit Poelvoorde) is a wondrous psychotic, intelligent and charming if not a little prejudiced. The film takes on a new level when the pretend film crew (who are played by the actual director and co-writers) not only tape the killings without turning the man in, but help him in the act. The vain killer even offers to help them finance the film with the money he steals from his victims. Thus, this becomes an absurdly genius take on media and violence. It's harsh at times, and was supposedly banned in some countries, but it's fictional and darkly comedic, so it's not to be taken completely seriously. Still, this has to be one of the most creative mockumentaries (and that's saying something) ever, and a great satire on modern media. I can't recommend it enough.

Directed by:

Rémy Belvaux
André Bonzel
Benoît Poelvoorde
(in trio)

No comments:

Post a Comment